Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Birmingham, AL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Birmingham?

At least four state licensing boards are responsible for licensing professionals who wish to operate in Birmingham. These include the Alabama Licensing Board of Contractors, which licenses all general contractors in Birmingham, and the State of Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board, which oversees the licensing of homebuilders and home improvement professionals in Birmingham. Similarly, all Birmingham electrical contractors must be duly licensed by the Alabama Electrical Contractors Board, while the Alabama Board of Heating, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Contractors issue licenses to HVAC contractors that wish to render their services to residents of the city. To ensure that you are not hiring unlicensed professionals, you can verify the licensing status of Birmingham professionals via the following online platforms:

  • The License Roster Search tool provided by the Licensing Board of Contractors
  • The Licensee Search tool provided by the Home Builders Licensure Board.
  • The Licensee Search tool provided by the Electrical Contractors Board
  • The License Lookup tool provided by the Board of Heating, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Contractors.

Note that you may also be required to obtain certain permits from the Birmingham Department of Planning, Engineering & Permits before carrying out your intended project. The intended projects would determine the nature of permits you will need for your project. For example, you may need permits for building-related projects that have to do with construction, alteration, and general home improvement. For more inquiries on the appropriate permits for your intended project, you can call the Department of Planning, Engineering & Permits at (205) 254-2211. You can also contact this department in person at:

  • Room 220 City Hall
  • 710 North 20th Street
  • Birmingham, AL 35203
Alabama Contractor License Search:

Do Birmingham Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Birmingham is home to 23 communities and 99 neighborhoods, each of which has various neighborhood associations that work together to improve the general well-being of their respective communities. These neighborhood associations provide the community members direct access to the City Council and other city officials, which increases citizen's input and involvement in other community improvements. However, none of these neighborhood associations can issue permits to the residents. Instead, they work with city officials on developmental strategies to address various community needs. For example, the Wylam Neighborhood Association provided the Wylam Elementary School with surge protectors to help with classroom instruction and to also help prevent unwanted electrical surges and spikes. Similarly, the Woodland Park Neighborhood Association voted to place 12 warning signs at strategic locations, specifically on Lincoln Ave, Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, and Goldwire Street. These warning signs are intended to notify drivers that children or pedestrians are in the immediate area and ensure that these drivers move around cautiously. You can use the city's neighborhood directory to access information on the relevant neighborhood associations, or you can contact the Birmingham Community Resource Service Division at (205) 297-8192 to get information on registered neighborhood associations.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Birmingham?

The Consumer Interest Division of the Alabama Attorney General's Office handles unfair business complaints in Birmingham. You can file a complaint against a Birmingham business by completing an online complaint form. If you have documents that support your complaint, you can send them via email to the Consumer Interest Division. Note that the Attorney General's Office cannot provide you with legal advice or file civil lawsuits on your behalf. If you intend to seek restitution against the subject of your complaint, you can file a Birmingham civil lawsuit at the Tenth Judicial Circuit of Jefferson County. You can retain the services of an attorney who can advise you on the available legal options. You can get attorney referrals by completing an online form provided by the Birmingham Bar Association, and you can contact this bar association at (205) 251-8006 for further information on its referral services.